The DMS is a Non-Profit event so any added value between expenses and sponsorships will be donated to an NGO. The DMS team has chosen the Gob of Menorca as the entity for this edition of the Data Management Summit.
«There has been an internal debate and we have decided to bet on the GOB after learning first hand all the activities that this environmental organization has implemented over the years» said Michele Iurillo, Founder of the Data Management Summit» if Menorca is a Biosphere Reserve for the enjoyment of all is due to the attitude of this institution. Menorca is a paradise and I have been lucky enough to enjoy it.
The GOB (Balearic Group of Ornithology and Defence of Nature) has been active in the Balearic Islands since 1973. The Minorcan section of this association was founded in 1977. Here is a summary of the main milestones accomplished since then.
- After several years of the campaign, Albufera des Grau is freed from urbanization. Later it was to become a natural park and the heart of the Biosphere Reserve.
- GOB is awarded an international prize by DRV Deutscher ReiseVerband.
- Campaign to protect Trebelúger from urbanization. Today, it is still one of the most spectacular virgin beaches on the south coast of the island.
- Launch of the Environmental Education Service which offers activities to people of all ages.
- Creation of Es Viver, a garden center that produces autochthonous plants, and offers services to support sustainable garden design and maintenance.
- GOB is awarded the Spanish National Prize for the Environment. TUI tour operator awards also accolade GOB with The International Prize for the Environment.
- The Centre for the Recovery of Wild Fauna in Ciutadella opens its doors. This unique installation on the island has saved thousands of lives of wild animals so far.
- Creation of the Minorcan Nature Centre, an information facility dedicated to schools, local population, and tourists. It was managed by GOB until 2012.
- GOB receives the Gold Medal in The Balearic Islands Autonomous Community awards.
- The Minorcan Local Council approves a Long-Term Plan for Land Use. The objective of the plan is to organize the sustainable use of land across the island. The implementation of this plan was a priority objective for GOB Minorca.
- Launch of The Land Stewardship project. An attempt to wed a sustainable landscape with a vibrant local farming economy. To date (2015) GOB has signed 25 agreements with local properties.
- A completely refurbished, the old windmill is converted into the main GOB office. Many people visit the center’s exhibitions and participate in the activities done there.
- GOB gets the international Award for the Environment from the Banco Bilbao-Vizcaya Foundation.
- The Camí de Cavalls, an ancient path that follows the island’s coastline is declared open for public use. This was a consequence of several years of campaigning by GOB and other civil entities in Minorca.
- The campaign against the changes to the long -term land use plan commences. One of the main objectives of this new transitional plan is to lower the levels of protection formerly given to rural land and areas of special interest.
- Start of the campaign against the building of double-level roundabouts along the main road of the island.
- Campaign against the dumping of contaminated sludge just outside the entrance to Mahon harbor. Local authorities agreed to keep it in a controlled area and the dumping was aborted.
About Data Management Summit
The event is free but has limited places and each application will be evaluated by the admission committee formed by the organizers, using Linkedin’s profile. The program of the day includes different technical interventions on Data Management, Data Governance, Security, Analysis, Machine Learning and Cloud among others.
The program also foresees a group dynamics among attendees, speakers, lecturers, teachers and students and a round table with the participation of vendors and the most important players of the Data Management market.
The event will be held on Wednesday 16 October 2019 from 9:00 to 17.30 at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros de Telecomunicación, Avenida Complutense, 30 – Madrid (Spain).
Data management professionals participate in a wide range of activities designed to ensure a company benefits from its investment in data, including enterprise architecture, data modeling, data definition, data quality, data management, and metadata management.
The event wants to be a bridge to the academic world and new generations who want to bring experience and learn from what is actually done in companies in the field of data.